Creating & (Re)Energizing Brands
A successful brand must communicate its norms (emotional and rational propositions and claims) via verbal and visual forms (e.g., advertising, pack design) in a precisely targeted and differentiating manner — which is tricky in a complex, ever-evolving culture. Unlike traditional market research, semiotic analysis offers a guide to the codes (combinations of forms and norms) at work in any culture or category.
Semiotic analysis classifies both cultural and category codes used by competing brands; it then maps these codes — revealing which brands are directly competing for mindshare, and how they're doing it.
Semiotic analysis is a critical tool for clients and agencies under the following circumstances:
- Launching a new brand.
- Planning a brand's new communication strategy.
- Seeking fresh ways to communicate a brand's norms, or tell its story.
- Differentiating a brand in its competitive environment.
- Repositioning a brand in order to stay in step with (or get ahead of) social, cultural, economic, and technological change.
- Disrupting cultural or category norms.
- Identifying themes (e.g., "soothing," "sustainability," "wellbeing") and metaphors across multiple national and/or global markets.
For more explanation and examples of how Semiovox can help you create and (re)energize your brand, contact us.